The Coinshooters of San Diego was founded in 1974 and is one of the oldest Treasure Hunting clubs in the country. The Coinshooters of San Diego is a non-profit organization that belongs to, and supports, regional and national treasure hunting organizations. The Club participates in regional treasure hunting shows and competitions.
The purpose of our club is to:
- maintain and support the Club and the hobby of metal detecting
- further the interest of our members in historical facts
- promote the exchange of information in the finding, collecting and preserving of coins, jewelry, relics and artifacts
To accomplish this, the Club offers the following activities:
· Monthly Meetings: A monthly meeting is held on the fourth Friday of the month at 6:30 PM. (Except for the months of November and December). The meeting is held at the North Clairemont Community Park at the Cathy Hopper Friendship Center 4425 Bannock Ave. San Diego 92117. . The meeting consists of a business section to discuss club business, raffles and a program presented by a club member or guest speaker pertaining to treasure hunting, collecting, cleaning finds, etc. A “show & tell” session gives everyone a chance to show off or brag about their best finds since the last meeting. Prizes are awarded for five different categories of finds. The club also has such events as: Ice Cream Socials, Pot Lucks, Bake Sales and Swap Meets as part of the regular meeting. Guests are always welcome at the Monthly Meeting.
· Club Newsletter: The “Digs & Scoops” is published monthly and mailed to all club members. It contains a President’s Page, Minutes of the last meeting, articles pertaining to treasure hunting or collecting, and information about coming events.
· Monthly Hunt: The club sponsors a monthly hunt, on one weekend of the month, where the members meet at a set time and location. Training and the proper use of metal detecting equipment is available on all club hunts. A prize is awarded on each hunt for the Best Find. Guests are invited to the Monthly Hunt, but are not eligible for the Best Find Prize.
· Mini Hunts: The club sponsors a Mini-Hunt several times a year. A Mini- Hunt is a competition where we bury coins, prizes, or tokens redeemable for prizes on a field and our Club Members hunt for them with their metal detectors. Some of the Mini-Hunts will include a picnic after the hunt is over. Coils over 11″ are not allowed. Visitors are welcome.
· Membership: The club offers a Family Membership for $40.00 per year that covers immediate family members, and children under the age of 18, living in the home, plus a one time charge of $5.00 for two name tags. A $2.50 per month charge is prorated for each month up to May, plus the 1st years membership. Single memberships are $30.00 per year, plus a one time charge of $2.50 for a name tag. A $1.50 per month charge is prorated for each month up to May, plus the 1st years membership. Memberships are due May 1st of each year.
- PRESIDENT Mark Rubey
- VICE PRESIDENT Brian Kinnear
- SECRETARY Robin Bridgeforth
- TREASURER Alan Calvert
- EDITOR Paul Dragos
- Immediate Past Pres. Terry Libby
- BOARD Jim Walker, Mike Bryant, Dave Vilett, Larry Bridgeforth
· Contact: Mike Bryant